Bathroom Renovation - Part 4 - Beadboard, Painted Trim and a Surprise Find

Before I get to the mouldings and beadboard, I'll show you what we chose for colours and decor.  Since we are keeping the rose wallpaper, we needed something to go with that and chose a light pink for the upper walls.  The lower walls are beadboard and painted white as is all the door trim, mouldings, baseboards and baseboard heater.  The shower curtain is in a grey tone with a white design.



Here's the cottage pink on the upper walls before the door trim was painted. I'm wishing a previous owner hadn't shortened the left trim piece where it meets the tub's tiles.  We left it like that but really should have removed the flat wood piece and either found or made some trim to match.


The beige/sand colour door trim was not something I liked at all.  I prefer a nice clean white for trims.





























The window had the same sandy colour painted around it, as did the ceiling moulding around the ceiling tiles.  On the slant of the window wall, which is just over the toilet, there was a plastic rose vine that I removed along with the wallpaper border. (Photo taken this past winter)

I love and respect the old mouldings and can't believe anyone would put so many holes in them, here's just a small sample of what we found.


So the trim was all painted white, I matched the white with the vinyl windows in the house.  That way the trim is continuous from the window mouldings.  Thankfully almost all the windows in this old house were new, from 2013. I also put up the lace curtain that was here and added some new wide horizontal blinds.  Before I show that, it's...

On to the beadboard, here's a photo of the side wall before I put the board on.


I love beadboard and have made my own, but for this application I'm using the pre-made beadboard sheets that you can buy at the lumber stores.
Here is the side wall with beadboard and wood trim cap (chair rail?) installed and painted white.


The end wall beside the toilet was made of some type of wall board.  We left it, and painted the top pink, with it's poor seam intact (don't ask!) The toilet paper holder is the type that insets into the wall, thus the big hole.


I just painted the toilet paper holder white and stuck in back in the hole I cut out from the beadboard.
The framed rose prints are off my printer, from The Graphics Fairy



Here's the finished end wall, with the window and a much prettier view:


Of course I also had to add beadboard behind the sink. I caulked the corner, where the two sheets meet, after taking this photo.

The light fixture and switch and outlet were installed.  You can see how the light we chose had to fit under the slanted roof and also allow for a mirror.  As well, it had to be centered over the sink, so not too far to the left.

I still need to add a moulding along the slanted wall, between the wallpaper and the pink wall. (This was taken before I added both the horizontal trim across the top of the beadboard and the baseboard)



We used wide baseboards to correspond with the look of the home.  (We have original large baseboards on the main floor of the house.)  This is the side wall between the sink and toilet, with the beadboard, baseboards and flooring all completed.



Before putting the beadboard on this wall I was vacuuming out where the new floor met the old wall and saw that something metal was stuck down there.  I had to get a screwdriver and a magnet to pry the object out of the tight corner.  Here's both sides of what I found:



It's about 3" long and you can just barely make out the writing that says "Frontenac Export Ale" on one side.  I found it online... it's a beer bottle opener from the 30s, which is when about this house would have been built.  I wonder if it's been there all that time?

See part 5 here



I was the favourite at:

My Repurposed Life
Sharing at:
My Repurposed Life - Catch as Catch Can
Dwellings - Amaze Me Monday
The Dedicated House - Make it Pretty Monday
Coastal Charm - Show and Share
Cedar Hill Farmhouse - the Scoop
Elizabeth & Co. - Be Inspired
Savvy Southern Style - Wow Us Wednesdays
Pneumatic Addict - Outside the Box
No Minimalist Here- Share Your Style
Ivy and Elephants - What's It Wednesday
Too Much Time - the Handmade Hangout
Shabby Art Boutique - Shabbilicious Friday
French Country Cottage - Feathered Nest Friday
DIY by Design - It's a Party
Knick of Time - Vintage Inspiration Party
DIY Vintage Chic - Fridays
From My Front Porch to Yours - Treasure Hunt Thursday





Labels: , , ,